October Perez, known to some as “Toby,” was only two-years-old when she died from abuse at the hands of her mother’s boyfriend in 2011. She endured for hours after suffering broken bones, extensive bruising and brain swelling before medical assistance was called for.
What is a crisis nursery?
Our crisis nursery provides urgent or emergency care for children ages 0-6. We provide a safe, nurturing environment for a few hours or all day, if needed at no cost to families.
Our non-profit crisis nursery is accessible to the public and has no income requirements for services. We offer referrals that link parents and caregivers to community resources to build resilience and strengthen families.
We believe all children deserve safe, loving, and immediate shelter during a family crisis. Infants and toddlers are most vulnerable to child abuse and neglect, often resulting in death.
What do families use the Crisis Nursery for?
There are many reasons people utilize a crisis nursery for crisis, respite, and transitional care until there is stable childcare available. Some of these include:
- There is not a safe place for a child to stay while resolving personal issues
- Someone is not capable of taking care of their child as they would like
- An important appointment but no one is safe to leaving a child with
- When stress and life’s problems are becoming too much to tolerate and could result in taking it out on a child or when someone feels they are losing control
- Medical emergencies where a care-giver needs immediate assistance with temporary childcare
- Mental health, substance abuse/sobriety support
- Foster care parent respite
- Emergency custody/custody issues
- Will lose their job if they miss more work
- Being waitlisted for daycares or daycare is closed
- Grandparents caring for grandchildren
Where is Toby’s House?
421 5th St N
Great Falls, MT 59401
What are the hours?
The hours currently are Monday-Friday 0800-midnight.
How is it funded?
We are a 501(c)3 Non-Profit Organization. We rely on our community’s generosity through donations and grants to help care for innocent kids at risk.
How can I learn more? How can I help?
Call us at (406) 770-3191
Email us: [email protected]
We are accepting donations of goods, services, and monetary contributions. Join us in our mission to prevent child abuse and neglect!